A Conversation Regarding Christmas Cookies and Southern Grammar


This is a conversation that took place at work today between myself and a co-worker. It's a lovely little snapshot of my life as a Midwestern transplant with a love of writing and an English degree living in the Southern United States. Sometimes I think my office is where proper grammar goes to die.

Co-worker: Are you fixin' to take them in yonder?
Me: To the kitchen? No, just getting another... you know, I don't think I know anybody who uses the word 'yonder' as much as you do.
Co-worker: It's a southern thing... but you knew what I meant right? When I say 'in yonder'?
Me: I only knew specifically because of the context, but yes, I got it.
Co-worker: ...'In yonder'... that don't really mean nothin', do it? Is it even in the dictionary, reckon?

Maybe I'll start a little mini series of really good Southern moments. To all you lovely Southerns out there, no worries... I do honestly love it! :) Happy Thursday!


0 comments:

Post a Comment