Single Serving Baked Eggs

I love eggs. A lot. I could literally eat them at every meal and be a happy camper. What's not to love? You can fry them, scramble them, poach them, boil them, use them to make omelettes, frittatas, eggs Benedict and toad in a hole. You can use them to top burgers and cap off a steaming bibimbap. They compliment my two favorite food items in the world, breads and cheeses, and get cozy with so many different herbs and seasonings, it embarrasses me. Best of all, they're inexpensive and quick. Pure magic.

I've been wanting to try a few one egg dishes in my silicone baking cups I got for Christmas figuring they would be wonderful quick breakfasts to stick in my bento. After crawling through Pinterest for 3 hours a few minutes to gather ideas, I went to see what was in my fridge.

There really isn't much of a recipe for what followed. I lined a few cups with some prosciutto scraps and a few more with leftover mashed potatoes, squishing it against the walls to form a crust of sorts. (I did try pre-baking a few of the potato cups before adding the egg and preferred that version) I cracked an egg into each, sprinkled them with shredded parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and baked them on 375 F until the whites solidified, about 15 - 20 minutes. The yokes seem to cook faster than the whites, unfortunately, so I didn't get that lovely hot runny yoke I was hoping for. However, that just means I'll have to keep making these until I figure out the trick. Darn.







0 comments:

Post a Comment