Fall is Coming!

Its been a very long time (over a month!!) since I last wrote and I feel like I have a million things to write about! But the first has to be about the approach of fall. I began a new job 2 weeks ago and noticed this past week that there were leaves falling around the office park. Actual leaves falling from the trees!! When you combine seeing the delicate crunchiness of their little dead selves with the fact that I can roll down my car windows without suffocating heat bowling me over... you know that fall is officially on the move. Here are some things I'm beyond excited about for the fall:

#1 - Orange Peels, Cloves and Cinnamon

When you put all these things together in a little pot of water and simmer it on the stove... oh my! The smell is amazing! For those of you taking notes, use whole cloves and sticks of cinnamon, not powdered. I woke up this morning and found that one of my sisters had put the first pot of fall potpourri on the stove... the house smells heavenly! Fall candles are also on my list of amazing smells... mostly pumpkin spice candles though, I'm not crazy about fake apple smells.


#2 - Scarves, Boots and Jackets


From shopruche.com - Winter Lookbook '09
I LOVE SCARVES, BOOTS AND JACKETS. No bones about it. If I can be holding a big mug of coffee or tea or hot cider while wearing any of the above, so much the better!! I love wrapping up and feeling cozy, sitting outside at night by a fire or kicking leaves down the sidewalk at dusk.

My scarf collection is actually very decent, thanks to end of the season sales! A few years back, I managed to hit Old Navy up for $0.25 scarves, not kidding! I think I bought about 15 of them. I can't wait to pull them out and experiment with new ties.
Photo property of Urban Weeds.

I couldn't really wear these socks, but I love the colors, layers and loose boots going on here. This picture is from a site I've just been introduced to called Urban Weeds. Check them out on my blog roll, its such a great concept! Its a street style blog put together by a very talented photographer, Lisa Warninger. She takes shots of people around Portland and documents their outfit and general style philosophy. I love the concept of catching people out and about in great outfits and showing them off!

It also makes me want to experiment with new layers this season, using more dresses and tights, belts and boots. And of course, I'll be looking to get more creative with my scarf collection and be on the hunt for a new peacoat. This is the year that I buy that fabulous printed one I've been dreaming about, I just know it...


#3 - The World Series

I grew up in St. Louis, MO. I am, therefore, a die hard Cardinals fan. October means World Series baseball to me! We'll have to see if the boys make it to the post-season, but you can bet I'll be watching the World Series regardless. (go Cards)


#4 - Pumpkin Bread

I'll be doing an entire post on this recipe later on in the season, but pumpkin bread is one of my absolute favorite things about fall. Thanks to Mrs. O'Brien, my childhood neighbor, for gifting us with the recipe! I hunted around for a decent picture, but I don't even think this one looked moist enough. Mine also has powdered sugar on top. Ok, I'm getting hungry...


#5 - Leaves: Crunchy, Golden, Flaming Red, Blowing In the Wind, etc.

This entire blog post began with two things - the orange peel/clove/cinnamon potpourri on the stove and searching for some fall-themed computer wallpapers. Sigh. All the pictures of blazing landscapes, secluded walking trails, golden light streaming in through brilliant aspens... wow. God is the master painter! I also love stepping on those gorgeous leaves when they finally fall on the ground. I will go out of my way to step on a leaf that is particularly crunchy looking!

So enjoy your last dregs of summer everybody, and I hope you're getting your first tastes of fall with me!

5 comments:

  1. Love it, love it, love it!!
    Great way to pull together all those delicious autumn-y things in one post:) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Thanks for the feature! I'm really excited to capture some more autumn style.
    xo
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Great to see you here, Lisa! :) I love your shots, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah! I LOVE your blog(esp this post). The end. :]

    ReplyDelete