Me and My Phone

So the other day, I accidentally left my phone at home. When I realized what I'd done, I started worrying... what if something happened and I needed it? Or even worse, what if somebody tries to get a hold of me and can't? Rats, I'm going to have multiple texts to catch up on, some people will think I'm ignoring them... I hope Mom doesn't try to call and I miss her... I had these thoughts on and off for the several hours I was gone. When I finally got home, I went straight for the counter where I'd left it, slid it open... and found nothing. No missed calls. No text messages.


And I laughed at myself.


Every now and then, I get these terrific reminders of my exaggerated self-importance! I kept thinking somebody was bound to freak out if they couldn't get a hold of me, and then had my little ego deflated when I saw that nobody had noticed I was missing. Now I could take this as a sign I need more friends (but I won't... love you too guys...;) but really, I enjoyed it as a reminder not to take myself too seriously. I think we're less likely to be offended, angered or disappointed if we can keep a realistic perspective on ourselves. It's also much easier to laugh when we slop something awkwardly down our shirtfronts or fix that hitched up skirt hem. (Fortunately I caught mine before I'd walked too far down the hall)

0 comments:

Post a Comment