Bento Cookbooks!

As clearly outline by My Bookshelf, I love books. I rely on books. I need them heaping over their assigned shelves, introducing me to their friends and keeping me up at night. I am an equal-opportunity book owner who does not discriminate based on binding, page texture, age or origin. I even own a few books written in languages I don't speak just because they're purty. So clearly, it was time to buy some books on making bento boxes.

I started with The Just Bento Cookbook: Everyday Lunches To Go by Makiko Itoh and Yum-Yum Bento Box: Fresh Recipes for Adorable Lunches by Crystal Watanabe and Maki Ogawa. (Note: this is how the book cover credits the authors, but Barnes & Noble has the authors listed as Quirk Books Staff, Makiko Ogawa, Pikko Pots, Crystal Watanabe)

 

I chose these two for their combined practicality and creativity. The Just Bento website has been my main source for recipes and practical tips as I've begun learning about the world of bento making, so getting the cookbook was a definite yes. It's chock full of recipes I can't wait to try and a few different versions of ones I already love.

Yum-Yum Bento Box takes the prize for creativity though. I can pack a practical bento, no problem, but not being an especially "cutesy" girl by nature I need ideas for things like penguins made of rice and hot dog octopuses! But really, I love the first few pages that are dedicated to the tools and tricks of the trade. Very well done!

If you're looking for a place to start, I recommend both of these together. Now I wonder what my mom would do if I showed up tomorrow with artistic creamed corn for Thanksgiving...?

0 comments:

Post a Comment