Thanksgiving 2012: Caramelized Onions and Fig Pizza

I love Thanksgiving with my family. There's a ton of us so it's always busy, a bit loud and plenty of great food. I mentioned last time I was in charge of bringing the creamed corn, but I also had another dish up my sleeve (so to speak). I have been wanting to try this out on a group and what better time than when I have my hungry family all lined up like so many Thanksgiving guinea pigs?? I have to admit, I liked this one. It was, in short, a win.


I don't really know what to call this masterpiece as it has so many elements! But my hat is off to Shari over at My Fancy Pantry for the primary inspiration behind this pizza. I mixed it up a bit as my taste and ingredients allowed, but she was definitely my muse. Thanks Shari!

Onion and Fig Pizza

1 1/2 large sweet onions
1/4 package of Trader Joe's Chevre with Honey (goat cheese)
Trader Joe's Fig Butter
prosciutto
pistachios, roasted and salted
Trader Joe's pre-made pizza dough
olive oil

First, I chopped up my onions and put them in the skillet to caramelize. Next, I greased up a pizza pan and rolled the dough out as thinly as I could and brushed a little bit of olive oil along the edges of the crust so it wouldn't dry too much while baking. Spread a nice layer of caramelized onions over the dough and top with short pieces of prosciutto, pistachios and dollops of chevre and fig butter. (Next time I make this, I'm going to mix the chevre and fig butter and spread it as a base AND put dollops on top... their creaminess was the best part to me!) Preheat oven to 400 F and bake for 15-20 minutes or until at desired crispy deliciousness!

I hope you enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment