Norimaki Chicken: Cooking at 6:30 AM...?!

Is this really happening? Am I seriously getting out of bed EARLY to get up and cook for the day's bento?!? I can't believe this. I'm the girl who sets her alarm a full hour early so I can have time to pitch a fit about not wanting to get up. Yet this morning, I got out of bed early to make this little bad boy:

norimaki chicken, sauteed mushrooms, sushi rice with black sesame seeds
(shrimp sauce lurking in the background)
Ok, so it looks a little weird and the color palette is narrow and unimaginative, but that's what happens when you think you have yellow and green squash and you have NEITHER. Oh well. Let's talk about the odd looking little chicken things, because they were really really yummy. (especially with shrimp sauce generously donated by one of the girls in my office who ordered hibachi for lunch)

I first saw a recipe for norimaki chicken on The Soy-sauce Queen and thought how tasty that would be in a bento. But being me, I like to experiment with flavors, even on the first try sometimes. SO. Here's my version:

My Norimaki Chicken Recipe
low sodium soy sauce
mirin
chili Thai sauce
nori (seaweed)
chicken thigh, cut into finger-length strips
oil

  1. Combine the first three ingredients in a bowl, 4 parts soy sauce, 2 parts mirin, 1 part chili sauce (or however spicy you like it). This is your marinade, so only make as much as you need for how much chicken you're using.
  2. Marinade chicken pieces 10 - 15 minutes. Soy sauce will toughen meat quickly, so you don't want to leave it in long.
  3. Wrap pieces of chicken in nori and place on a lightly oiled pan.
  4. Bake at 375 F for 15 minutes or until done... my oven is screwy so I have no idea how long my invention recipes take in standard ovens!!


Note: I just discovered Soy-sauce Queen... only to realize the site has moved but I can't find where they moved TO. All I get is a "Go Daddy" page. If you know where they are, please let me know, I'm loving their recipe collection!

0 comments:

Post a Comment